The result of the rapid development of human activity in the last century in all areas of the economy has become a negative attitude towards the environment and excessive exploitation of natural resources. As in most countries, the Republic of Azerbaijan attaches great importance to solving problems of environmental protection and rational use of natural resources.
Therefore, in order to obtain a result in the field of environmental improvement, which is the basis of environmental policy, a number of important laws, regulatory and legal documents have been adopted in the republic, state programs corresponding to the requirements of European legislation have been prepared and approved. In order to address the environmental problems of the republic, based on the principles of sustainable development, activities are carried out within the framework of relevant state programs.
The main environmental problems of the Republic of Azerbaijan consist of the following:
- Pollution of water resources by construction waters, including transboundary pollution;
- Low level of supply of high-quality water in settlements, loss of drinking water along the way of delivery to consumers, shortage of sewage lines;
- Pollution of atmospheric air by industrial enterprises and vehicles;
- Degradation of fertile lands (erosion, solonchak);
- Inadequate management of the process of utilization of solid industrial and domestic wastes, including hazardous wastes;
- Reduction of biodiversity;
- Reduction of the number of forest resources, fauna, including fish resources.